In a previous article, I explained that to put more energy into your life, you must eat well, have a good rest, and exercise regularly. This advice applies equally to living a long and happy life.
And if you want to live a long, healthy, and happy life, there is one more thing you can do:
Don’t hold your breath.
Although this sounds like easy advise to follow, it is not. There are hundreds of times during your typical week when you most likely will be holding your breath:
- While you’re focusing on a difficult problem
- When you lift something heavy
- Going to the toilet
- While having an orgasm
The problem? Breath is life. This simple truth can be found in many disciplines:
- In Meditation: Breathing meditations have been used for centuries to bring a sense of inner peace
- During Labour: Breathing has been used as a relaxant for women during labour and control pain
- Whilst practicing Martial Arts: breathing plays a critical role in the practice of defensive and offensive martial arts.
- During love-making: breathing techniques have been taught by Tantric practitioners for centuries to prolong sensual ecstasy
- and many, many more!
More importantly, breathing allows us to experience the universal Law of Cycles every minute of every day; by increasing our awareness of how we breathe, we can increase the quality of our life and prolong it. Clinical studies have proven a strong correlation between proper breathing and life-span; and “Lung volume is a primary marker for how long you will live “ (www.breathing.com)
So stop holding your breath for the magic bullet, and start breathing properly.