(Click here if you can’t see the video above)
Today’s review is going to be short.The above video was created by a small firm (Grasshoper) to remind everyone that with turbulence comes opportunity; that uncertain times push us to discover new ways of doing things. I found the messages in this video a wonderful reminder that ideas + action = success. It was a modern reminder of the Law of Action.
I was also drawn to this video because of my fascination with Creative Commons licensing. As you would know, a lot of my work is released under this licensing (see links at the bottom for some examples), so when I read this article about how Ogilvy & Mathers used similar music and message to create an ad for American Express, I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, the Amex ad was not a direct ripoff from the above video; yet it was clearly inspired by it, and there is enough evidence to demonstrate that the O&M’s creative team heavily borrowedi from this inpirational video. At the end of the day, one has to answer the question of whether grasshoper deserved at least attribution for the idea, and whether there is enough in common in these 2 artistic executions to warrant a notice for copyright violation. What do you think? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
Before I go, I would like to highlight some of the messages that resonated most with me from this video:
- As an entrepreneur, risk isn’t the reward; the reward is changing people’s lives, fueling world, and making a better world
- Entrepreneurs are everywhere, and can be anyone… even YOU.
- Remember when you were a kid (when everything was within your reach) and then say to yourself quietly but with determination: IT STILL IS.
If you liked this article, check some of our previous video reviews below:
- January : Benjamin Zander at TED (video) (review)
- February: Story of Stuff (video) (review) (web site)
- March: Feel like the Incredible Hulk with Tim Ferris (video) (review) (web site)
- April: Pike Place Market video about the Fish! Philosophy (video) (review)
- May: Building a great team – a tribute to Herb Brooks (video) (review)
- June: Reflections of a Crazy Colombian Video Blog # 1 – A review of AMPlify 2009 (video) (review)
Links to some of the works by The crazy Colombian released under a Creative Commons license: